Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Mild egg-and-cheese dishes, such as this soufflé, are an ideal way to showcase exotic mushroom varieties because they won’t overpower the mushrooms’ delicate flavor. Feel free to substitute your favorite cheese for the Gouda—Parmesan and Swiss also work well.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Set oven rack in lowest position.
2. Coat 1.5-qt. soufflé dish with cooking spray. Dust sides and bottom with breadcrumbs. Chill.
3. Heat milk in saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles form around edge. Keep warm.
4. Melt butter in separate saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; whisk in warm milk. Return to burner, and cook 1 minute, or until very thick, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; whisk in salt and cayenne. Whisk in egg yolks one at a time.
5. Beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold one-quarter of egg whites into yolk mixture. Repeat with remaining egg whites, gradually sprinkling in cheese. Scrape into prepared soufflé dish. Bake 35 minutes, or until puffy and browned.
- Calories 227
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 139 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 524 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g