The wine and porcini add depth to this sauce. Serve with Wild Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Shepherd’s Pies.
- 1/4 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 21/2 cups Mushroom Stock (recipe, p. 38), or prepared mushroom broth
- 1/4 cup Pinot Noir or flavorful red wine
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 11/2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 11/2 tsp. mushroom soy sauce or tamari
1. Soak porcini in 1/4 cup hot water 30 minutes. Drain, and reserve liquid. Finely chop porcini, and set aside.
2. Bring Mushroom Stock, wine, and soaking liquid to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Melt butter in separate saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Whisk 1/2 cup Mushroom Stock into flour mixture to make paste. Add remaining stock 1 cup at a time. Add chopped porcini and soy sauce; simmer 15 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories: 39
- Carbohydrate Content: 2 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 161 mg
- Sugar Content: 0.5 g