Tostadas are a tasty alternative to tacos—with the same satisfying flavors. Serve with your favorite salsa and hot sauce.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 poblano chiles, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced (21/2 cups)
- 4 cups quartered cremini mushrooms (12 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, or one 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 cups thinly sliced red or green cabbage
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs. lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 4 tostada shells
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
1 To make Topping: Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over high heat. Add chiles, onion, and mushrooms; cook 12 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add beans, cumin, coriander, and garlic; sauté 1 minute to heat through.
2 To make Slaw: Toss together all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt, if desired.
3 To assemble Tostadas: Spoon ½ cup Topping onto each tostada shell. Top with ¼ cup slaw, ¼ avocado, and 2 Tbs. cheese, if using.
Make-ahead instructions: Topping can be refrigerated three days or frozen up to three months.
- Calories: 371
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 338 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g