Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Sturdy homemade buns mean you can assemble these sliders ahead of time, then pop them in the oven to warm before serving.
1. To make Buns: Combine yeast with 1/4 cup warm water (110°F) in measuring cup. Set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl. Add shortening, and rub with fingers until shortening is incorporated into flour mixture.
3. Whisk yeast mixture into warm buttermilk, then stir into flour mixture—dough will be soft and light.
4. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or coat with cooking spray. Roll out dough to 3/4-inch thickness, and cut into 24 3-inch rounds. Place dough rounds on prepared baking sheets, and set in warm place to rise 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake Buns 10 to 13 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. To make Sliders: Combine oil, vinegar, mustard, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic in large bowl. Add mushrooms, and toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature 1 hour, or in the fridge overnight.
7. Preheat oven to 425°F. Drain mushrooms, and place curved side down on baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until browned and most of juices have evaporated. Reduce oven heat to 350°F.
8. Split Buns in half, and place bottoms on 1 baking sheet and tops on another. Set 1 mushroom on each Bun bottom, and top with 1 piece Gouda cheese. Warm/toast Sliders and Buns in oven 7 to 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Layer each Slider with tomato and lettuce, then top with Bun.
- Calories 181
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 327 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g