Mushroom Wonton Soup
This delicately flavored soup is just the thing for when you’re feeling under the weather. Wonton wrappers are usually found in the supermarket refrigerated aisle near the produce section. You can also find them fresh or frozen at Asian markets. For an even quicker version, skip the wonton-making altogether…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This delicately flavored soup is just the thing for when you’re feeling under the weather. Wonton wrappers are usually found in the supermarket refrigerated aisle near the produce section. You can also find them fresh or frozen at Asian markets. For an even quicker version, skip the wonton-making altogether and use prepared wontons instead.
- 1 12-oz. pkg. sliced mushrooms
- 6 peeled medium carrots (5 thinly sliced, 1 minced), divided
- 1/2 head bok choy (2 cups thinly sliced, remaining minced), divided
- 6 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tbs. prepared black bean sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 4 cups prepared mushroom broth
- 2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 24 wonton wrappers, such as Twin Dragon brand
1. Set aside 1 cup sliced mushrooms in small bowl, and mince remaining mushrooms. Combine minced mushrooms, minced carrot, and minced bok choy with chives, black bean sauce, and oil in medium bowl. (You should have about 1 1/2 cups.)
2. Bring mushroom broth, 2 cups water, and soy sauce to a boil in large stockpot or saucepan. Add sliced mushrooms, sliced carrots, and sliced bok choy; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare wontons: Lay out wonton wrappers on clean surface. Spoon 1 heaping tsp. minced vegetable mixture near one corner of each wrapper. Brush all edges of each wrapper with water. Fold wrappers into triangles, pressing edges together to seal in filling. Take two corners of triangle, press one over other, and seal with more water. (Wonton wrapper packages have illustrations of folding process.)
4. Add wontons to simmering broth, and cook 5 minutes.
- Calories 170
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 587 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g