Cool, creamy borscht made with horseradish and sour cream was the inspiration for the rosy pink dressing on this salad. For a faster version, try using the vacuum-packed cooked beets sold in the produce section of the supermarket.
- 3 medium raw beets (1 lb.)
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tbs. olive oil 2 Tbs. prepared horseradish
- 1 small head napa cabbage, thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbs. slivered almonds
1. Cook beets in boiling salted water in medium saucepan 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with fork. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Peel by rubbing skins off while submerged in large bowl of cold water. Drain.
2. Cut 2 beets into 1/2-inch dice, and set aside. Cut remaining beet into quarters, and blend in food processor 1 minute, or until finely chopped. Add vinegar, and pulse 30 seconds more. Add yogurt, oil, and horseradish, and blend 3 to 4 minutes, or until smooth and pink. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. 3. Toss together cabbage, fennel, and green onions in bowl. Divide cabbage mixture among serving plates, and sprinkle each serving with 1/3 cup diced beets and 1 tsp. slivered almonds. Drizzle 2 Tbs. vinaigrette over each serving.
- Calories: 103
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 124 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g