Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Cool, creamy borscht made with horseradish and sour cream was the inspiration for the rosy pink dressing on this salad. For a faster version, try using the vacuum-packed cooked beets sold in the produce section of the supermarket.
1. Cook beets in boiling salted water in medium saucepan 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with fork. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Peel by rubbing skins off while submerged in large bowl of cold water. Drain.
2. Cut 2 beets into 1/2-inch dice, and set aside. Cut remaining beet into quarters, and blend in food processor 1 minute, or until finely chopped. Add vinegar, and pulse 30 seconds more. Add yogurt, oil, and horseradish, and blend 3 to 4 minutes, or until smooth and pink. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Toss together cabbage, fennel, and green onions in bowl. Divide cabbage mixture among serving plates, and sprinkle each serving with 1/3 cup diced beets and 1 tsp. slivered almonds. Drizzle 2 Tbs. vinaigrette over each serving.
- Calories 103
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 124 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g