Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry are the classic Neapolitan flavor combination (like the ice cream). Here they’re showcased in chocolate tartlets filled with vanilla-flavored strawberries. Baking the tartlets on double-stacked baking sheets (aka double panning) ensures that the tart shells bake evenly, with no burned bottoms.
1. To make Dough: Pulse flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in food processor 10 times, or until combined. Add margarine, and pulse 10 times, or until mixture is crumbly. Add 2 Tbs. water, and pulse 5 times, or until Dough comes together.
2. Divide Dough into 4 equal pieces, shape into disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out Dough disks to 1/8-inch-thick rounds on lightly floured work surface. Press rounds into 4 1/2-inch tart pans with removable bottoms, and trim away excess. (Excess Dough can be rerolled to make small cookies, if desired.) Prick bottoms of tart shells 8 to 10 times each with fork, and place on 2 stacked baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes, or until tart shells begin to pull away from sides of pan. Remove from oven, and sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp. chocolate chips into each shell. Spread melting chips into thin chocolate layer with pastry brush.
4. To make Filling: Combine strawberry slices, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in medium bowl. Halve vanilla beans, and scrape seeds into strawberry mixture; stir to combine (reserve vanilla pods for another use), or stir in vanilla extract. Let stand 30 minutes. Stir to combine juices and strawberries.
5. Layer 1/2 cup strawberry slices into each tart shell, pressing down lightly. (Tarts will be very full.) Return tarts to oven on double-stacked baking sheets, and bake 20 minutes, or until Filling bubbles around edges. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack before removing tarts from pans. Dust tarts with cocoa powder.
- Calories 464
- Carbohydrate Content 70 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 331 mg
- Sugar Content 33 g