Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This chili showcases ingredients that early explorers discovered in the New World—pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, and lima beans. Sprinkle diced avocado and chopped red onion on top for a flavorful garnish. If you don’t have a slow cooker, this recipe is still very easy. For stovetop prep, all of the ingredients except the avocado and red onions go into the pot at once, then everything simmers for about 2 hours.
1. Combine all ingredients except avocado and red onions in 4-qt. slow cooker or large pot.
2. Cover slow cooker, and cook on low 4 to 6 hours. Or place lid on pot, and bring chili to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 1½ to 2 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon chili into bowls, and garnish each serving with diced avocados and chopped red onion.
- Calories 291
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 755 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g