No-Bake Peanut Butter-Mocha Energy Bars
For a quick pick-me-up in the morning or afternoon, the mixture of peanut butter, chocolate, and coffee in these energy bars takes the cake.
These easy-to-make energy bars make a power-packed snack for late-afternoon energy slumps or even a quick, eye-opening breakfast (your morning coffee’s mixed right in). The peanut butter and oats provide lasting stamina, and coffee and chocolate add caffeine for a quick pick-me-up. Other energy-boosting add-ins to try: MCT oil, maca powder, L-tyrosine powder, or ginseng powder.
But these tasty treats are about more than just quick energy. The peanut butter also provides a quick-and-easy vegetarian protein boost. Plus, peanut butter is a great source of monounsaturated fat, which can help lower cholesterol levels. Skip the low-fat varieties that remove much of this good fat, and opt instead for brands with just two ingredients: nuts and salt.
March is National Peanut Month, so we’re spotlighting flavor-packed peanut recipes throughout the month.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 3 Tbs. agave or honey
- 2 Tbs. instant espresso powder
- 2 Tbs. cocoa powder
- 2 Tbs. cacao nibs or mini vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Cut sheet of parchment to fit bottom and two sides of 8-inch-square pan with edges hanging over. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine oats, peanut butter, honey, espresso, cocoa powder, cacao nibs or chocolate chips, vanilla, and salt. Stir to mix well.
- Press mixture firmly into bottom of pan. Freeze 30 minutes to 1 hour. Using parchment overhang, lift bars from pan. Cut into squares. Serve immediately, or pack in individual snack-sized bags and freeze for easy transport.
- Calories 250
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g