- 15- to 19-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 large eggs
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, halved, seeded and coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup slivered onion (1/2 large)
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch-long slivers
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fresh Anaheim chilies, seeded and cut into 2-inch-long slivers (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until light golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add bell pepper, garlic, chilies and cumin and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have broken down into a sauce, reducing heat as needed to maintain a lively simmer, about 10 minutes.
Season stew with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. One at a time, crack each egg and drop into a separate quadrant of stew, taking care not to break yolks. Cover skillet and cook over medium-low heat until eggs are set, 5 to 7 minutes.
Sprinkle each egg with a little paprika. With slotted spoon, transfer 1 egg with some stew to each plate. Spoon additional stew around eggs and serve immediately.
- Calories: 271
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Cholesterol Content: 213 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 88 mg