Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
It’s not unusual for okra and sweet potatoes to pair up in African cuisine, typically in curries and stews. These fritters use the same flavor combo.
1. Combine okra, sweet potato, shallot, honey, soy sauce, egg, and cornmeal in large bowl. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. With wet hands, form mixture into 16 golf ball–size spheres, and flatten slightly.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook fritters 8 minutes, flipping once. Repeat with remaining oil and spheres. Serve fritters warm, with soy sauce for dipping, if desired.
- Calories 54
- Carbohydrate Content 6 g
- Cholesterol Content 12 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 45 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g