Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Peeling nectarines—or peaches, which can be substituted here—is a breeze when you score, then blanch them. The pie can be frozen whole once assembled, and baked at a later date.
1. To make Crust: Pulse flour, sugar, lemon zest, salt, and cinnamon in food processor until combined. Add butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Drizzle in vinegar and 6 to 8 Tbs. ice water; pulse until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough into 2 disks. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill at least 1 hour.
2. To make Filling: Fill large pot or bowl with at least 4 quarts ice water. Fill large stockpot with 6 to 8 quarts water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Score an x on bottom of each nectarine with sharp knife. Drop 3 nectarines into water 30 to 60 seconds, or until skin starts to peel back from the x. (If using smaller pot and less water, drop in 2 nectarines at a time.) Remove with slotted spoon, and plunge into ice water 3 to 4 minutes, or until cool. Repeat with remaining nectarines. Peel and slice nectarines.
3. Toss together nectarines, sugar, tapioca flour, and lemon juice in large bowl. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into bowl, and stir in blackberries.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F. Let dough stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Roll out 1 dough disk on well-floured work surface to 12-inch circle. Lay dough in 9-inch pie plate. Roll out remaining dough disk to same dimensions. Spoon fruit into pie plate, and top with remaining dough disk. Crimp edges to seal; brush top crust with milk, then sprinkle with raw sugar, if using. Cut decorative vents on pie top. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F, and bake 40 to 50 minutes more, or until crust is deeply golden and fruit filling is bubbling. Let pie rest 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- Calories 446
- Carbohydrate Content 61 g
- Cholesterol Content 54 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 13 g
- Sodium Content 151 mg
- Sugar Content 23 g