Old-Fashioned Quince Jelly
Homemade jelly doesn’t have to be a hassle when you make it with quince. The flesh, skin, and seeds are high in pectin, so a simple quince water (made by simmering the fruit and then straining it) sweetened with sugar will jell into a clear, tasty spread that’s a lovely…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Homemade jelly doesn’t have to be a hassle when you make it with quince. The flesh, skin, and seeds are high in pectin, so a simple quince water (made by simmering the fruit and then straining it) sweetened with sugar will jell into a clear, tasty spread that’s a lovely holiday gift. You can even use the cooking liquid from the Membrillo recipe to make jelly by simmering the quince 20 minutes longer.
- 2 large quince, unpeeled, uncored, and coarsely chopped (6 cups)
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Place quince and 10 cups water in large pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour. Remove from heat, and cool overnight.
2. Strain liquid from quince, and discard all solids. Return liquid to pot, and stir in sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 11/2 to 2 hours, or until bubbles on top are light and foamy, and liquid is deep pink, thick, and jelly-like when tested with a cold spoon.
3. Meanwhile, sterilize jars and lids: Submerge jars in large pot filled halfway with simmering water, and lids in small pot of simmering water. Keep jars and lids in hot water until ready to use.
4. Remove jars one at a time from hot water, and fill with jelly, leaving 1/4-inch headspace in the top of each jar. Seal jars with lids. Place canning rack or cake rack in bottom of large pot, and return jars to pot, adding extra water to cover jars by 1 inch, if necessary. Bring water to a boil, and boil 10 minutes. Remove jars from water, and cool.
- Calories 49
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0.5 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g