This Spanish-style omelet (similar to a frittata) is cooked with the fillings mixed into the eggs instead of folded inside. Serve it in wedges with warmed premade salsa verde.
- 4 small new potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium-size yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
Place potatoes and broth in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
Heat 1 1/2 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and cook 8 minutes, stirring often, or until soft.
Add potatoes and remaining oil to skillet, and reduce heat to medium.
Whisk together eggs and egg whites in large bowl. Pour eggs into skillet. Cook 4 minutes, pushing egg edges toward center with rubber spatula to allow omelet to cook evenly. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 4 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over omelet, cover and cook 2 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and eggs are set. Gently loosen omelet from pan and slide onto cutting board. Cut into six wedges and serve on individual plates.
- Calories: 175
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Cholesterol Content: 151 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 345 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g