Whole-wheat pastry and sorghum flours add whole-grain interest to these cakes without making them heavy or dense.
- 13/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 11/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 21/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 8 dates, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 5 Tbs. egg replacer powder
- 13/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 large seedless orange, unpeeled, chopped into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
- 11/3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbs. orange or lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. rum or sherry
1. To make Cakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 5-cup Bundt pans with cooking spray. Dust with flour.
2. Whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in bowl. Stir in dates and ginger.
3. Whisk together egg replacer and 1 cup water in large bowl. Whisk in sugar, oil, and orange juice. Fold in orange pieces. Stir in flour mixture.
4. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 20 minutes, then unmold.
5. To make Glaze: Whisk together confectioners’ sugar, orange juice, and rum until smooth.
6. Poke holes in Cakes with toothpick. Drizzle Cakes with Glaze, using pastry brush or butter knife to coat evenly.
- Calories: 368
- Carbohydrate Content: 66 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 243 mg
- Sugar Content: 41 g