Pomegranate seeds appear as tiny red jewels in this easy and attractive salad. Open the pomegranate and separate seeds ahead of time.
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. stone-ground mustard
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 medium navel oranges
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 cup red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
- 4 bunches arugula, trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces (8 cups)
- 1/2 to 1 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 to 2 pomegranates)
Make vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar and mustard. Gradually add oil, whisking constantly until thickened. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Working over large bowl to catch any juice, peel oranges with small paring knife, then remove sections from between membranes and add to bowl.
Add fennel, onion, sage and vinaigrette to bowl with oranges and toss gently to combine. Let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Just before serving, put arugula into salad bowl; add orange mixture and toss _to mix. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
- Calories: 98
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 24 mg