Inspired by a Sicilian salad of oranges and onions, this dish stays fresh for several days in the refrigerator. Blanching the onion rings tones down their pungency so they don’t overpower the other flavors.
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rings
- 3 navel oranges
- 4 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 12 pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup cubed feta cheese (1 oz.)
- 4 packed cups torn romaine lettuce leaves
1. Place onion rings in bowl, cover with boiling water, and let stand 30 seconds. Drain in strainer, and rinse under cold water.
2. Remove pith and peel from oranges with paring knife. Slice into 1/8-inch-thick rounds, and cut rounds into quarters. Reserve juice.
3. Divide reserved orange juice between two 1-quart canning jars. Whisk 2 tsp. vinegar and 1 Tbs. oil into each jar, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Equally divide and layer all remaining ingredients in jars: oranges on the bottom, then chickpeas, olives, feta, romaine, and onions. Store in refrigerator overnight.
- Calories: 385
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Cholesterol Content: 13 mg
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 452 mg
- Sugar Content: 24 g