Wassail is a hot mulled punch traditionally made with cider or ale and wine. This version calls for orange juice instead of cider or ale, but is no less festive.
- 3 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 750-ml bottle Cabernet Sauvignon or other full-bodied red wine
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 cups strong Earl Grey tea
Bring orange juice, wine, brown sugar, 1 sliced orange, 1/4 cup cranberries, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, and cloves to a boil in large saucepan. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, uncovered 20 minutes.
Remove pan from heat, and strain mixture into heat-proof pitcher or serving bowl, discarding solids. Stir in hot tea. Serve in mugs, and garnish with remaining orange slices and cranberries.
- Calories: 241
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 15 mg
- Sugar Content: 41 g