Mild but ever so comforting, chickpeas taste great with pungent broccoli rabe in this dish starring orecchiette (||little ears||), tiny disc-shaped pasta. Conservative palates may prefer this recipe with the lesser amount of broccoli rabe, but if you are a fan, go ahead and use the full pound.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 medium cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 15- to 19-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz. dried orecchiette pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (2 oz.; optional)
- 1/2 to 1 lb. broccoli rabe, well rinsed
Bring large pot and large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, trim about 1 inch from broccoli rabe stems. Cut stalks and leaves into 1-inch pieces. Drop broccoli rabe into saucepan of boiling water. As soon as water returns to a boil, drain and rinse under cold running water. Drain well and set aside.
In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until garlic is softened but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add reserved blanched broccoli rabe, chickpeas and salt; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add broth and bring to a boil. Re-duce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until broccoli rabe is tender, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and simmer until sauce has thickened and flavors have blended, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
Shortly before sauce is ready, add orecchiette to pot of boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and place in large warm serving bowl. Add broccoli rabe mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan if desired.
- Calories: 441
- Carbohydrate Content: 75 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 697 mg