Orzo is a tiny pasta that looks sort of like oversized rice. For this orzo salad, just toss in all the ingredients of a classic caprese – ripe, bright red cherry tomatoes, bites of mozzarella cheese, and basil. Beyond that, it’s up to you. Want to omit the cheese or swap it for a dairy-free cheese? Do it! Want to add some additional veggies? Works! Just chop them up so they’re in bite sizes that fit with the other mix-ins.
Whatever ends up in your bowl, the results are a perfect party buffet item. It’s good at room temperature and easy to eat with one hand while standing around holding your plate.
Caprese Orzo Salad
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain, and rinse under cold water to cool and prevent from sticking.
- Meanwhile, stir together onion, oil, and lemon juice in small bowl. Set aside.
- Transfer orzo to large bowl, and stir in onion mixture and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Fold in cherry tomatoes, mozzarella-ball halves, snow peas, and carrots. Before serving, check seasoning and add more lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper, if necessary.
- Calories 370
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 23 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 34 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g