Fennel and tomatoes are a classic combination in Italian pasta sauces.
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 16 oz. dry orzo pasta
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut into 16 wedges
- 2 medium carrots, diced (2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 28-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1. Cover sun-dried tomatoes with 3/4 cup boiling water in bowl. Soak 30 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, and set aside.
2. Cook orzo according to package directions; drain, and set aside.
3. Coat Dutch oven with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add fennel; top with carrots and onion, and cook 5 minutes without stirring. Stir, and sauté 5 minutes more. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Stir in fire-roasted tomatoes, beans, and sun-dried tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve over orzo.
- Calories: 364
- Carbohydrate Content: 74 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 514 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g