Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Roasting Brussels sprouts gives them a rich flavor and crispy exterior—a vast improvement over the texture and taste of boiled Brussels sprouts.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss Brussels sprouts with 1/4 cup olive oil in large bowl. Arrange Brussels sprouts cut-side down on baking sheet. Roast 20 to 25 minutes, or until just golden. Sprinkle in chestnuts and shallots, moving them around on baking sheet to distribute oil. Roast 20 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tsp. olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bacon, and cook 2 minutes, turning once, or until crisp on both sides. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate. Crumble into small pieces when cool enough to handle.
3. Toss Brussels sprouts mixture with lemon juice, lemon zest, and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, and transfer to serving plate. Top with crumbled bacon.
- Calories 232
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 2 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 325 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g