Based on a classic French recipe, this salad-in-a-sandwich makes a great last-minute supper. Or tote it along on your next picnic—it tastes even better when the ingredients have had a chance to soak up the tangy dressing. Meal Plan: Strips of baked marinated tofu and a salad of sliced cucumbers in yogurt would be ideal on the side. For an even heartier sandwich, add about a cup of well-drained canned chickpeas to the filling mixture.
- 1 16-inch French baguette
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 ripe large tomato, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 scallions (white and light green parts), chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped black olives, preferably kalamata
- 1 Tbs. drained capers
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried
1. Cut baguette lengthwise in half. Scoop out soft center from both halves, (leaving 1/2-inch-thick shells) and transfer to food processor or blender and process until fine crumbs form. Set bread shells and crumbs aside.
2. In large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil and garlic. Stir in reserved bread crumbs, tomato, bell pepper, scallions, olives, capers and thyme. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
3. Spoon crumb mixture into bottom bread shell and replace top. Cut crosswise into 4 sections to serve.
- Calories: 154
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 216 mg