The best test to see if a crunchy coating will stick to foods? Try it on a variety of vegetables and some tofu cubes. Feel free to swap in your favorite vegetables for the ones listed here.
1. To make Coating: Place puffed rice in resealable plastic bag. Seal, and roll with rolling pin until broken up. Transfer to bowl, stir in oil and 3/4 tsp. salt. Set aside.
2. Stir together rice flour and remaining 3/4 tsp. salt in large bowl. Whisk in seltzer water, adding 1 to 2 Tbs. more seltzer water (if necessary), until consistency is smooth and thick like Elmer’s glue.
3. To make Tofu and Vegetables: Line baking sheet with paper towels. Set aside.
4. Coat tofu cubes and vegetables in batter, then press into puffed rice mixture to coat. Set on second baking sheet.
5. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, and cook 6 to 7 minutes, turning occasionally, or until browned. Transfer to paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Add 1 Tbs. oil to pan, and cook zucchini 6 to 7 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining oil and vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, if desired, and serve hot.
- Calories 341
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 446 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g