This is a foolproof method for cooking polenta. Just keep adding liquid
and stirring. You can cook it ahead and keep it warm in a double boiler,
stirring in hot water as needed. Stir in the coulis just before serving.
- 1 pint berries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 3 to 4 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 to 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 drops rosewater, optional
- 2 cups polenta or yellow cornmeal, preferably stone ground
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbs. mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced, for garnish
To make Strawberry Coulis: Put 1 1/2 cups berries in blender or food processor, and purée until smooth. Stir in sugar, lemon juice and remaining berries. Add rosewater, if using. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make Polenta: Combine polenta, 8 cups cold water and salt in heavy pot, and slowly bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often with wooden spoon or spatula, scraping bottom of pot. As polenta thickens, reduce heat to low, and continue to cook. Stir 25 to 30 minutes, or until polenta is no longer grainy; add more water as needed. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
Swirl in Strawberry Coulis to make “ribbons.” Spoon into 8 bowls; top each serving with 1/2 Tbs. mascarpone and 1/4 cup sliced berries.
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 90 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g