Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Gastrique is another culinary term for the reduced balsamic sauce that gets drizzled over pan-seared fritters.
1. To make Fritters: Steam parsnips 10 minutes in steamer, or until tender. Transfer to bowl, and mash until smooth. Stir in flour, green onions, and jalapeno; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. To make Balsamic-Honey Drizzle: Bring vinegar, 1 Tbs. honey, allspice, peppercorns, and rosemary sprig to a boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes, or until reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove rosemary sprig and spices; stir in remaining 1 1/2 tsp. honey.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon 2 Tbs. Fritters batter into skillet to make 2-inch patties. Cook 5 minutes per side, or until crisp and golden. Transfer patties to baking sheet, and keep warm in oven until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining 1 Tbs. oil and batter.
4. Arrange 4 Parsnip Fritters on each plate, and top with 2 Tbs. Balsamic-Honey Drizzle.
- Calories 438
- Carbohydrate Content 85 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 41 mg
- Sugar Content 28 g