- 12 oz. dried rotini or penne
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 28-oz. can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 10-oz. pkg. frozen baby peas (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta; stir to prevent sticking. Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
Add tomatoes with liquid, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon. Stir in salt, red pepper flakes and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 6 minutes.
Stir in peas and olives if desired and heat through, about 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
Drain pasta and transfer to shallow serving bowl. Add sauce and toss to combine. Serve hot, sprinkled with grated cheese if desired.
- Calories: 456
- Carbohydrate Content: 87 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 671 mg