This classic pasta salad takes advantage of late summer tomatoes, asparagus and fresh herbs. You can use other pasta shapes, but make sure that it will be one that holds the dressing well–a short pasta with grooves or ridges is ideal. The salad is served cold, but you could also toss the dressing over the pasta and vegetables while they are hot, much in the same way a pesto is utilized.
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 cups cut asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrots (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cups dried medium pasta shells (5 oz.)
- 3/4 cup 'Super' Green Dressing (August '00/p. 49)
- 1 large tomato, quartered, seeded and cut lengthwise into thin strips
Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Fill large bowl with ice water. Add broccoli, asparagus, carrots and onion to boiling water and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. With slotted spoon, plunge vegetables into ice water, drain well and set aside. Keep water at a boil.
Add pasta to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain well.
In large serving bowl, combine cooked vegetables and pasta. Add dressing and toss to coat. Add tomato strips and toss again.
- Calories: 134
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 25 mg