Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Crackly-dry on the outside and moist on the inside, a Pavlova is a virtually foolproof “cake.” Even if something does go wrong, the lavish cream and fruit topping will hide any flaw.
1. To make Toppings: Beat cream, yogurt, and 1 Tbs. sugar in medium bowl until stiff. Combine mango, raspberries, and remaining 1 Tbs. sugar in separate bowl. Cover, and chill until ready to serve.
2. Position oven rack just below center, and preheat oven to 250°F. Trace 9-inch-diameter circle onto sheet of parchment paper. Turn parchment over onto large rimmed baking sheet; circle should show through.
3. To make Pavlova: Combine 1 Tbs. sugar and cornstarch in small bowl. Beat egg whites, lime juice, and vanilla with handheld electric mixer in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 15 Tbs. sugar. Increase mixer speed to medium-high; beat 4 minutes, or until meringue is thick and satiny, and path remains when spoon is drawn through. Beat in cornstarch mixture.
4. Scrape meringue into center of circle on parchment. Spread meringue to fill circle, building edges slightly higher than center. Bake Pavlova 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until outside is dry but center is still soft (crust will give when poked). Turn off oven, leave door closed, and cool 1 hour in oven. Slide metal spatula under Pavlova to loosen, and transfer to cake plate using a tart pan’s removable bottom for support.
5. Spread yogurt cream thickly over Pavlova, leaving 1-inch border uncovered. Top with fruit mixture.
- Calories 186
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 22 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 30 mg
- Sugar Content 28 g