30 MINUTES OR LESSA retro salad from the 70s, this recipe is adaptable to whats freshest and most appealing at market; layer to suit your whim. For a vegan version, use soy mayonnaise.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil, or more as needed
- 5 oz. soy bacon
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar or honey
- 2 cups roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 cups cubed pineapple, preferably fresh
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/2 pound mesclun salad mix, rinsed and dried
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and cook soy bacon, several strips at a time, according to package directions. Drain strips on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, crumble or chop and set aside.
Place peas in water to cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, remove from heat, rinse under cold water, drain and set aside.
To make dressing, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar or honey, salt and pepper. Set aside.
To assemble salad, layer serving bowl, starting with seeds, then peas, pineapple cubes, tomatoes and crumbled bacon. Dress as needed and toss before serving.
Because the success of this salad depends on what you select at market, a light, dry white wine suits such a composed salad.
- Calories: 540
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 37 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 640 mg