Healthful and nourishing, this easy-to-prepare salad may be seasoned with your choice of dressing. Pigeon peas are available dry or canned in most supermarkets and can be found fresh or frozen in Hispanic markets. Add a side of crusty bread and cups of green tea, and conclude the meal with lemon bars or fruit cookies.
- 1 3/4 cups black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups pigeon peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 cups mixed salad greens such as mesclun
Pat the peas dry with paper towels. Combine the peas in a large serving bowl, and add the avocado, tomatoes and scallions. Season to taste, dress with your favorite dressing and toss.
To serve, arrange equal portions of greens on individual plates, and spoon equal portions of the pea mixture onto beds of lettuce.
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 360 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g