Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This dish is usually made with cardoons, Swiss chard–like leaves that are grown in Sicily. Pairing zucchini with arugula provides a similar flavor and texture.
1. Cook penne according to package directions. Drain, and reserve pasta water.
2. Whisk together ricotta and 1/3 cup pasta water in small bowl; set aside.
3. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add zucchini and garlic, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 3 minutes, or until zucchini is tender. Stir in arugula, cover, and cook 1 minute, or until arugula is just wilted. Add ricotta mixture to arugula mixture, and cook 1 minute, or until hot but not boiling. Serve ricotta sauce over penne, and sprinkle with provolone (if using).
- Calories 234
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 9 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 76 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g