You can add extra salt if you prefer to omit the Parmesan cheese.
- 1 lb. dry penne pasta, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/4 cup olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 small zucchini (1 lb.), very thinly sliced
- 8 oz. small pattypan squash, quartered (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup finely shredded fresh basil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup shaved fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2 minutes. Add zucchini and squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden at edges, about 6 minutes.
Drain penne, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Stir lemon peel, salt, pepper and reserved cooking water into squash mixture.
Transfer penne to large serving bowl. Add squash mixture, basil and chives and toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using and serve hot.
- Calories: 215
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 183 mg