These protein-packed burgers are loaded with the flavor, texture and nutrition of three kinds of seeds. Pepitas are hulled green pumpkin seeds and are available at natural food stores and Hispanic markets. Try these burgers with a raita (Indian yogurt salad) sauce.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, or more as needed
- 2 tsp. tahini
- 1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup cooked lentils
- 4 scallions (white and light green parts) finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In food processor, combine sunflower seeds, pepitas and sesame seeds and process until coarsely chopped. Add lentils, scallions, parsley, tahini, salt, cayenne and bread crumbs; process until mixture is blended.
Shape mixture into 4 patties and place on platter. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook burgers until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Calories: 323
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 23 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 353 mg