Cashews become very creamy and smooth when blended, which makes them perfect for this cheese. It's aged at room temperature, then baked just until dry to the touch.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 6 Tbs. canola oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. tahini
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cracked black peppercorns or coarsely ground black pepper
1. Place cashews in large bowl; cover with 3 inches water. Soak overnight.
2. Drain liquid, rinse cashews under cold water, and drain again. Purée cashews, oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt, and 2 Tbs. water in food processor 6 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
3. Place large strainer over bowl, and line with triple layer of cheesecloth. Spoon cashew mixture into cheesecloth. Fold sides of cloth over cheese, and form into 6-inch-long oval loaf. Twist ends of cloth and secure with rubber bands. Set in strainer over bowl, and let stand 12 hours at room temperature. Discard excess liquid. Chill.
4. Preheat oven to 200°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap cheese, and scrape into 7-inch-long log on cheesecloth. Rewrap, and twist ends to secure. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 35 minutes, or until cheese becomes set on outside but still soft, turning occasionally. Cool, and chill.
5. Unwrap cheese. Sprinkle with peppercorns, pressing to adhere.
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 293 mg
- Sugar Content: 0.5 g