Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Crushed candy canes give this peppermint chocolate mousse a festive feel. Because the rich flavor comes from the chocolate, choose a high-quality dark chocolate with at least 55 percent cocoa content.
Click here to find more holiday recipes and ideas from Vegetarian Times
1. Heat chocolate, milk, and butter in large metal bowl placed over pot of simmering water until chocolate is melted and mixture smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in peppermint extract.
2. Meanwhile, beat egg whites and salt with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form.
3. Stir 1 cup egg-white mixture into chocolate mixture until smooth. Fold remaining egg-white mixture into chocolate mixture with spatula until no white streaks remain. Divide among 8 custard cups or ramekins, and place in freezer 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with 1 Tbs. crushed candy canes just before serving.
- Calories 192
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 98 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g