Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The ultimate way to enjoy fresh artichokes.
1. Break off artichoke stems to remove tough fibers. Cut stem ends. Trim off pointed leaf tops of artichokes with scissors. Rub cut parts with lemon half.
2. Fill large pot with 2 inches water, and add bay leaf and garlic clove. Squeeze juice from lemon halves into water, and place steamer basket in pot. Set artichokes top down in steamer basket, cover, and bring water to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium, and steam artichokes, covered, 45 to 50 minutes, or until a bottom leaf from each base pulls away easily. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired. Serve with a dipping sauce, if desired.
- Calories 64
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0.5 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 72 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g