Almost any kind of French bread will work for this recipe. If you choose a baguette—the long, thin loaf made with white flour—your pizza will be crisp and crusty. But a pain de campagne (sourdough with some whole-wheat flour) creates a dense, chewy crust.
- 1 medium eggplant (1 1/4 lbs.), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1 8-oz. jar fire-roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 12-oz. loaf French bread, split lengthwise
Preheat oven to 350F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Place eggplant slices in single layer on baking sheet, and spritz with more cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes, flip slices over, and bake 15 minutes more, or until tender.
Spread pesto over bread halves. Top with cooked eggplant slices, and sprinkle with roasted peppers and cheese.
Preheat broiler. Place bread halves on baking sheet, and broil 1 to 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Cut each pizza in thirds, and serve.
- Calories: 357
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 7 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 526 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g