Here’s a way to inspire the kids at the table eat every last bite of salad: tell them the ingredients for this one are what Peter Rabbit took from Mr. McGregor’s garden, then encourage them to use their fingers to dip the veggies in a homemade Thousand Island dressing.
- 1 cup lite silken tofu
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbs. white vinegar
- 2 1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated Meyer lemon zest or grated lemon zest
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. tamarind paste, optional
- 1/2 tsp. sriracha hot sauce, optional
- 4 English cucumbers, roughly peeled
- 8 cups baby lettuce leaves or mesclun greens
- 16 steamed green beans
- 16 baby carrots
- 16 French breakfast radishes
1. To make Dressing: Place tofu in bowl of food processor, and purée 2 minutes, or until smooth. Transfer to bowl, and stir in remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. To make Salad: Peel each cucumber into wide strips with vegetable peeler until you reach seed core, turning cucumber between each stroke of peeler to keep strips same width. Discard core. Wrap 3 or 4 strips together to make 3-inch-diameter rings. Set rings on serving plates, and fill with lettuce leaves and green beans as if filling a vase.
3. Divide Dressing into 8 small bowls or ramekins, and place next to Salads on plates. Arrange carrots and radishes around edges of plates.
- Calories: 42
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 294 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g