Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This cheesy sandwich gets a healthful kick and crunch from sautéed broccoli raab.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in large saucepan. Add broccoli raab, cover pan, and cook 4 minutes. Turn with tongs, and cook 4 minutes more. Drain. Cool 5 minutes, and coarsely chop.
3. Heat 2 1/2 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes and broccoli raab, and sauté 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in garlic, then roasted peppers (if using). Transfer to bowl.
4. Wipe out skillet, and heat remaining 1 1/2 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté 6 minutes. Stir in vinegar, and cook 2 minutes more, or until all liquid has evaporated.
5. Toast baguette slices 6 minutes on baking sheet in oven. Divide broccoli raab and portobello slices among bread bottoms, then top each with 2 cheese half-moons. Return loaded sandwich bottoms to oven, and bake 5 minutes. Place tops over sandwiches.
- Calories 397
- Carbohydrate Content 51 g
- Cholesterol Content 15 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 568 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g