Fresh or frozen bean curd skin, sold at Asian markets, makes an unusual, crisp wrapper for a vegetarian filling. To finely shred the carrots, use a mandoline or a four-sided grater.
- 4 cups (about 7 oz.) carrots, finely julienned
- 3/4 cup (about 6 oz.) baked or pressed bean curd slivers
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked, squeezed dry and slivered
- 4 scallions, including green and white parts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. Chinese rice wine
- 1 tsp. cornstarch plus 2 Tbs. corn-starch mixed with water
- 1/4 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, plus vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 7x7-inch square egg roll wrappers or bean curd skins
Arrange carrots, bean curd slivers, slivered mushrooms, scallions and fresh coriander in separate piles on work surface. Combine soy sauce, rice wine, 1 teaspoon cornstarch and sesame oil in small bowl, and mix well. Set aside.
Heat wok or large skillet, and add 2 tablespoons oil. Add ginger and minced garlic, and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add carrots, and stir-fry 30 seconds. Add bean curd, and stir-fry 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, and stir-fry 30 seconds. Stir seasoning mixture, and add to wok. Add scallions and fresh coriander leaves, and toss well. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Mix cornstarch with enough water to make thin paste. Place egg roll wrapper on work surface positioned with one corner pointing toward you. Place 1/4 cup carrot filling at nearest corner, and roll tightly about 3 turns. Tuck in right and left corners over filling, and continue rolling toward far corner. Spread cornstarch paste lightly on far corner, seal packets closed and set aside. Repeat until all wrappers and filling are used.
Just before serving time, heat oil for deep-frying to 375F. Carefully place egg rolls, 2 or 3 at a time, in hot oil. Fry, turning once, until golden. Remove from oil with slotted spoon or tongs, and drain on paper towels.
- Calories: 310
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 1130 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g