This nutty, chutney-like sauce is used to flavor a simple combination of quinoa and zucchini. The sauce could also be spooned over ricotta to make a dip for pita, used as a sandwich spread, drizzled over a baked potato, or tossed with sautéed tofu cubes.
Quinoa and Zucchini
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 lb. baby zucchini or small regular zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (4 cups)
- 3 Tbs. golden raisins
- 3 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1. To make Quinoa and Zucchini: Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
2. To make Sauce: Bring raisins, vinegar, and 1 Tbs. water to a simmer in small saucepan. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pine nuts, and toast 3 minutes, or until just golden. Transfer nuts to blender along with raisin mixture, mint, parsley, garlic, cayenne pepper, and 2 Tbs. water; blend until smooth. Set aside.
4. Heat oil in skillet, then add onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Add zucchini, and sauté 5 minutes more, or until crisp-tender. Transfer to large bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Toss zucchini with 4 Tbs. Sauce. Add quinoa, and stir to combine. Serve warm or cold with extra Sauce on side.
- Calories: 355
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 23 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g