Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Soy chorizo sausage is a favorite among VT staffers because it adds spice and texture without a processed “fake meat” flavor. Queso fresco is a crumbly, mild Mexican cheese. Look for it near the refrigerated salsas or next to Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Wrap tortillas in foil, and place in oven to warm.
2. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onion, and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Crumble soy sausage into pan, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in diced tomatoes, and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Stir in beans, and cook 2 minutes more, or until beans are warmed through.
3. To assemble tacos: Fill tortillas with 3 Tbs. bean mixture. Top with sliced onions, avocado, cheese, and cilantro. Serve with salsa and hot sauce, if desired.
- Calories 366
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 7 mg
- Fat Content 13.5 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 807 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g