Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Winter greens are gently cooked in a seasoned bean cooking liquid for a brothy, comforting meal in a bowl.
1. Soak beans 8 hours or overnight in large bowl with 2 qt. water and 1 1/2 Tbs. salt. Drain, and rinse well.
2. Set rice cooker setting to “sauté” (or similar), and preheat 2 to 3 minutes. Add coconut oil, and heat 1 minute more. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeño, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes, or until vegetables are softened.
3. Adjust rice cooker setting to “slow cook” (or similar). Pour in soaked beans and enough water to cover beans by 1 inch (about 6 cups). Cover, and cook 3 to 4 hours, or until beans are tender and cooked through.
4. Fold in greens 1 handful at a time. Cover, and cook 10 to 15 minutes more, or until greens are bright green and tender. Serve garnished with cilantro, parsley, and lime wedges.
- Calories 332
- Carbohydrate Content 56 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 19 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 10 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g