Simmering radishes yields a pale pink soup that can be served hot or cold. To make it fancy, reserve a radish (which you’ll julienne) and some radish greens (which you’ll mince) for a colorful garnish.
- 1 lb. radishes, halved (3 cups)
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium white onion, quartered
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper
- 1 Tbs. prepared horseradish sauce
- 2 Tbs. crème fraîche, plus more for garnish, optional
1. Pulse radishes and potato in food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to bowl, wipe out food processor, and set radish mixture aside.
2. Pulse onion in food processor until finely chopped.
3. Heat butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add radish mixture, white pepper, and 31/2 cups water. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
4. Remove soup from heat, stir in horseradish, and purée in food processor in batches until smooth. Add crème fraîche, and purée until combined. Season with salt, if desired. Serve garnished with radish, greens, and crème fraîche (if using).
- Calories: 70
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 46 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g