This versatile pie originated in Naples in the 1800s. Tradition has it that a local pizza baker was commissioned to create a special pizza to honor visiting Italian royalty, King Umberto and his Queen Margherita. Hence, this pie.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil, optional
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup basil-flavored tomato or pizza sauce
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil plus extra leaves for garnish
- 2 cups shredded low-fat, regular or soy mozzarella
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 450F. Prebake fresh pizza crust, if using, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
Brush crust with olive oil, if using. Sprinkle with garlic, and spread sauce evenly over top.
Top with diced tomatoes, shredded basil and mozzarella. Sprinkle with 1DA2 cup Parmesan.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cheese melts. Remove from oven, garnish with basil leaves and remaining Parmesan and serve.
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 30 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 770 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g