This pie brings together the robust and sunny flavors of the south of France. For an injection of gusto, add garlic to taste.
- 1 12- to 14-inch pizza crust
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small Italian eggplant, skin removed and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup green beans, cut into 1- to 2-inch-long pieces
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 10 to 15 pitted black olives
- 2 Tbs. capers, drained
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 Tbs. fresh basil, shredded
- 8 oz. shredded low-fat, regular or soy mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 450F. Prebake fresh pizza crust, if using, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and saut8E onions for 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggplant, cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally. Add tomatoes and green beans, cover and stir occasionally for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, olives, capers and herbs. Stir, and remove from heat.
Spread vegetable mixture over pizza crust, and top with cheese.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cheese melts thoroughly. Remove from oven, and serve.
Why not enjoy this pizza Provence style with a chilled glass of South of France Ros8E? A Tavel, such as one from Domaines Ott, is a slightly pink ros8E that’s not sweet or fruity—a perfect choice for a summertime pizza.
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 620 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g