Fresh poblano chiles and dried New Mexican chiles give these enchiladas a spicy, smoky flavor that’s not too hot. Serve with a fruity California Riesling or a hearty red wine such as Malbec from Argentina or Tempranillo from Spain.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 21/2 oz. dried New Mexican chiles, halved, stemmed, and seeded
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 6 Poblano or Anaheim chiles
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 11/2 cups queso fresco
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
1. To make Sauce: Heat olive oil in saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic in oil 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft. Add dried chilies, and sauté 3 minutes more. Stir in tomatoes and 2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until chiles are soft. Remove from heat, cool 5 minutes, then purée in blender or food processor until smooth.
2. To make Enchiladas: Preheat oven to broil. Place poblano chiles on baking sheet, and broil 15 to 20 minutes, or until blackened on all sides, turning often. Cool in covered bowl, then peel off skins and remove seeds. Chop chiles into ¼-inch pieces.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic in oil 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft. Transfer to mixing bowl, and add queso fresco, ¼ cup Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro, and chopped chiles.
4. Spread tortillas on baking sheet. Warm 3 minutes in oven to soften.
5. Spread 1 cup sauce over bottom of 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Divide cheese mixture among tortillas, and roll loosely. Place filled, rolled tortillas in baking dish. Top with remaining Sauce, and sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack cheese. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until Sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
- Calories: 381
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Cholesterol Content: 28 mg
- Fat Content: 14.5 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 365 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g