Lisa Kelly, a personal chef from Waltham, Mass., created these tasty eggplant stacks after returning from a trip to Italy.
- 5 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 16-oz. tube polenta, cut into 8 rounds
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 medium eggplant (3/4 lb.), cut into 8 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce, warmed
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add polenta, and cook 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, combine flour and breadcrumbs in bowl. Dip eggplant rounds in egg, then dredge in flour mixture until completely covered.
3. Heat remaining 4 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook eggplant rounds 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
4. Mix ricotta and arugula in bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Top each polenta round with layer of ricotta mixture, then layer of marinara sauce. Top with eggplant round.
- Calories: 258
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 27 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 461 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g